Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Alice series

I just finished the newest book in Phyllis Renolds Naylor's often banned Alice series and once again enjoyed spending time with Alice and her friends. I love the way Naylor matter-of-factly handles all the ups and downs of teen life. Throughout the series, she has calmly addressed bullies, death, a seriously ill classmate, unwanted pregnancy, abuse in a teen love relationship, a gay-straight student alliance, a variety of questions about love and sex and more. Our heroine Alice deals with them all, frequently awkwardly, but always genuinely. One reason to love Alice is that she is not the girl who always knows what to do, but she muddles through good-heartedly, like so many of us try to do. Go Alice!

1 comment:

Librarian D.O.A. said...

Nice review! I haven't read the series, but if I did I would feel I had to go way back and start at the beginning (must read in order...must). I might try it sometime thanks to your recommendation.

Search my home library

My Library Dream Pet

Adobe Flash Player version 9 is required for display of this Spongecell widget.

Please install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from Adobe.

If you have already installed Adobe Flash Player version 9, please make sure that your browser supports javascript.

Read Me