Yahoo! Avatars

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing 21: Other Social Networks

In this thing, I looked over Gather, Web Junction and Ning. I searched for my usual interests: teen books, teen librarians, libraries, Fairy tales, Steampunk, history, etc. I did join a vintage clothing group on Ning, but in general, Facebook, LibraryThing and Myspace seem more useful to me. If I had found the new social networks first, maybe I would feel differently, but between the other possibilities and the listservs I'm on, I'm well covered.
Joining the 23 Things Ning was more fun because I was able to find many librarians that I know and friend them. It will also be enjoyable to look at the other participants' pages.

This has nothing to do with work, but I'm already a member of http://www.longhaircommunity.com/
which is a network that discusses long hair care and styling. There are sub-groups, and you can friend people there, too.

Inspired by a coworker, I joined Linked In, to keep in touch with friends from former jobs. I only have 5 contacts as of yet, 2 from my current library system, 2 from my last one, and 1 from my very first library job. I also signed up for Lifeknot, which centers on the activities that you like and finds others who enjoy them as well (being married, I passed on the possibility of using it to find dates). Several days since sign up, no one has viewed my profile or sent me any topic-related email. I haven't posted a photo or filled out my basic book, movie, music likes either. Maybe when I'm more interesting someone might look at my profile.
I've just filled out my likes, but no one has the same books or movies as me. I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch.

No comments:

Search my home library

My Library Dream Pet

Adobe Flash Player version 9 is required for display of this Spongecell widget.

Please install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from Adobe.

If you have already installed Adobe Flash Player version 9, please make sure that your browser supports javascript.

Read Me