Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing 20: Libraries and Social Networks

I already have both Facebook and MySpace accounts. I've had MySpace for a few years, and Facebook for probably less than a year and I generally prefer Facebook. It seems more adult, even though I still love the Facebook toys like Flair, Fluff Friends and Travel Brain. I really love the Visual Bookshelf application and I use it all the time. I belong to 22 groups, including Teen Services Librarians, GLBT Round Table of the American Library Association, Don't Mess With Me, I Worked in a Public Library and more.
Though neither of my accounts were set up for me to use professionally, Facebook is more so. My friends on it are mostly my real (non-net) friends, librarians and authors I wish were my personal friends. :)

My MySpace page covers a wider range of my interests. It is at myspace.com/hislittlelily . I have many author acquaintances, but also belly dancers and other friends, and most of them I haven't met personally. I have 199 "friends" there versus 34 on Facebook. I think that I will thin these down some. I like that you have more options in designing your page and I'm sorry that there are so many annoying adds. Since I made my Facebook page, and don't keep up with my MySpace page very well.
In my previous library life in Arizona, I created a Myspace for teens. I friended many authors, bands and magazines so the teens could browse them. We also posted our events. I put up my book reviews and I wanted our whole department to feel free to contribute, and I thought it would be fun if we posted pictures of the Youth staff as teens. We had a fair amount of tweens and teens friend us back (maybe 20?). When I left AZ it was still developing, but I think that it had potential. I think that the challenge is keeping the content fresh and interesting without spending all of your time on it.

No comments:

Search my home library

My Library Dream Pet

Adobe Flash Player version 9 is required for display of this Spongecell widget.

Please install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from Adobe.

If you have already installed Adobe Flash Player version 9, please make sure that your browser supports javascript.

Read Me